HistoryDuring the summer of 1956, two friends and members of the Akron Bears Softball Team, Tony (Big Bear or Mac) Cory and Tony Guliano, discussed opening up a pizza shop in Akron, NY. Several years earlier two of their friends, Tony and Sam Pontillo had opened up a pizza shop in Batavia. The "new" product seemed to be popular and "catching on".
They started to make plans, and in the summer of 1957, they bought a used refrigerator, booths, a soda cooler, and a new Blodget single deck oven along with a Wurlitzer juke box. The location they chose was the sight of the Bates Meat Market at 33 Main Street (now the Akron library).
In August of 1957, they opened to a very receptive community. The product became an immediate hit and Tony's became the place to be after any type of sports event. Teenagers danced all day to the songs of the day in their hooped skirts and pony tails. Guys sported the DA's.
About a year after opening, Tony Guliano moved to Rochester and sold his interest to Tony Cory. Tony and his wife Marion continued to run the business for the next twenty years. In the mid 70's their son Tony and his wife Annette took over the business. Tony and Annette ran the business until the mid 90's when their sons Tony (TJ) and Tad took over the business.